Friday

192 Prophetic Ingredient

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God can speak through just about anything and anyone, even people who are totally oblivious to their being used as a vessel for a higher, divine purpose.

The movie "Answer Man" points out the principle of how God can use even anything but perfect people to speak to the world through them, often very much in spite of themselves, rather than because of any specially pious qualities on their part.

In my free eBook project "The Deeper Meaning of Everything" that's precisely the point I'm trying to stress: God speaks to us through everything.

In my movie blog "Talking Pictures" I try to point the lessons I glean from the movies I watch, and I also firmly believe that God has sometimes inspired songwriters - often totally unbeknownst to them - to broadcast downright prophetic messages to the world through their songs.

A few classic examples: "Let It Be" is, I believe, a prophetic song about the time of the end. "When I find myself in times of trouble..." - The Great Tribulation?

"Mother Mary" in the song, in my opinion, represents the Holy Spirit, "speaking words of wisdom." Later it says, "Whisper words of wisdom," indicating that those words won't always be spoken out loudly from pulpits with microphones, but a cloudy night is coming, through which there will still be a light shining on those who believe, culminating in the great awakening to the sound of music (the "last trump") at Jesus' Return.

I doubt that Paul McCartney was aware of any such divinely prophetic ingredient, since his ideology certainly seems to be an entirely different one.


"Bye Bye Miss American Pie" also had a greater prophetic significance than Don McLean ever realized, if you've watched the development of pop music over the past 4 decades since that song was written, and perhaps even he knows by now that "The day the music died" wasn't just the day Buddy Holly's plane crashed. I often joke that it was the day Madonna recorded that song.


Then there was the '71 album "Who's Next" by The Who, a musical milestone, with their song, "Won't Get Fooled Again," ending with the line that so perfectly describes the succession of the current administration to the previous: "Meet the new boss! - Same as the old boss!" - I've even seen people wearing t-shirts with that line on it in reference to Obama...


Maybe I’ll come up with a list of other examples of songs with a touch of the prophetic…


In the movie "Hurricane" the statement is made that people don't find the books they're looking for, but their books find them.


In my life, pretty much the same applied to every song I felt magically drawn to. Even if at the time I first heard and started liking the song the meaning of the lyrics didn't seem to bear any resemblance or parallel to what was going on in my life, later on, it did, and I realized why that song had "found me."


Maybe you're too rational, dogmatic or restrictive to consider that God could possibly work in such ways, and certainly the theory of Evolution wouldn't lead to such a seemingly bizarre conclusion that our Creator should be involved in even such small details in our lives.

Well, Jesus gave us a clue that He's more into details than many of us may think when He said that every hair on our heads was numbered, and no sparrow falls the Father doesn't keep track of.


So, next time you hear a song and you feel its tug on your heart strings, listen to what it's got to say. Chances are the Author of Life Himself has a message to you.

No comments: